Sunday 13 May 2018

602 - Presentation & Evaluation

Presentation screenshots:





























Final Module Evaluation:

Over the years I think I have been able to naturally come into my own through the PPP module. I think this is down to having become more confident in myself as a creative, through my quality of work and online presence, which represents and supports my overall persona, but also through my overall approach to communication, tone of voice and how I present myself in general with potential clients, collaborators and other industry professionals.

This has developed itself alongside me gaining more of a certainty regarding my focus within design, this year I have truly been able to direct my practise to what I enjoy and am most inspired by.

I think this year I have effectively satisfied my initial aims of pushing my practise within the motion and illustration realm, giving me as much experience of what being a motion designer in the real world would actually be like, whilst simultaneously building a strong portfolio to reflect my now considered and tested practise. I also initially suggested how I wanted to really engage with design for screen and consider how I can be most engaging and interactive for the audience, boosting the reach of the content I produce through careful considerations of audience and the way I am communicating to them through the social platforms.

My placement at Studio Blup definitely began to reinforce this direction my work was travelling in, giving me the opportunity to see how professional, industry level motion designers approach their days. Getting to be part of this tight-knit but relaxed dynamic gave me a real taste of what life after uni could be like. Openly bouncing ideas around to ensure all criteria are being met, whilst being open to critiques and suggestions to help develop my practise. At set times throughout the day I was required to pitch my work and concepts to Dines, where I would receive rigorous feedback and pointers of how to really sell the concept to the client. By the end of the week I was directly pitching my work to the actual clients, making me feel very professional, yet slightly out of my comfort zone! But the experience of working on a on a client-led brief, taught me how to respond accordingly dependent on the client and their background and content style, pitching in a professional and confident way - taking inspiration from Dines contagious attitude and approach. I didn’t think I would ever be willing to work in London, however from this placement and experiencing the hustle and bustle of the underground and all the diverse stimuli to be inspired by everyday on your way to the studio, it has definitely made me consider otherwise!

I was able to interact with the industry on many other occasions throughout the year, however one event in-particular stood out to me. The Intern x Napapijri project that I got the chance to work on literally blew me away. Getting to work closely with Alec was a beneficial and enjoyable experience which taught me a lot about how to hold myself professionally throughout the design process and through communication with the client, as well as then giving me the opportunity at the end to see what I have worked on at a huge scale in a room filled with people. The confidence this gave me to openly chat with creatives and network at the event truly changed my perception of the industry and has given me a desire for more!

This isn’t the only thing which completely changed my options for after uni however. Through working on various collaborations and commissions throughout the year it has developed my professional personality and approach very well, readying me for the industry. However this all changed as the VS Project evolved! I thought I wanted a quiet studio job behind a desk, but various influential people I have chatted with over the year, such as Frankie Ratford and Abraham Asefaw, have driven me to not settle down just yet. Instead it inspired the evolution of my developing platform on Instagram which has now grown into a developing brand idea and travelling plan for me and a friend (a recent-grad cameraman) - where we plan to push both of our practises to the maximum, through immersing ourselves deep into other cultures and documenting every step of the way via this platform, which could completely change our career prospects when we get back!

Overall, I have actually thoroughly enjoyed PPP this year. With Alec's help I definitely feel more equipped to graduate.

No comments:

Post a Comment