Friday 4 May 2018

602 - Alphabet Task @ Blup - Finals

I drew him in the different poses ready for use within the Motion file on AE...





















And then confirmed how it would all fit together and move on a .psd file ready to be directly opened in AE..



- Each section of the letterform will animate in separately to create the composition
- Each illustration animates in
- Animation with the mic going
- Legs swinging on top left illustration
- Repetition fan top right

- The various lines and diagonals moving and changing
- The circles alternating
- And then dragging through the letterform to warp it.

To finalise, 

- I added sound effects to each movement to really exaggerate this glitchy / mechanical style
- Aswel as the voice rip of him to link it all back.

- I kept it under wraps with Dines until now in the hope he'd be fully stoked on the finished piece and love it! This gave me the chance to get some finalising feedback off him regarding just little touch-ups to really make it bang!

- We decided to add a grime beat to it to really reflect his true colours and tastes - for this I gave him a few options to choose from..

Dines Option 1 

Dines Option 2

Overall, I am so happy with how my placement went. I had a very long debrief chat with Dines at the end of the week, who was extremely complimentary of me and pumped my ego up massively!! 
He was overly impressed with my standard of work and compared me to previous interns they've had who weren't even as skilled and comfortable after a month, let alone a week. He picked up on how my confidence and like-able personality is key in the industry, as to be successful you constantly need to be interacting and chatting with your various clients and people within and outside of the industry - to persuade them, gain their trust and get them to buy into your visual story-telling to represent their brand or campaign. And then being nice to people ontop of that and being friendly gets you even further by gaining you new clients as well as some cushty links and opportunities with the more current and trendy brands/movements if you're pushing for the right social and creative circles through your work!

Aslong as I keep brushing up my skills and staying creative, he said I will go a long way - but I really need to pin down my style and find a balance between the punchy and glitch style motion graphics like in Blup's style and then the more vectorised illustrations I like to do. As you have to decide when one or the other is most appropriate! 

I pitched my whole travel concept to him, and he was very intrigued and commented how this is something he regrets not doing now, because he is so caught in the industry there would be no way out and then back in. He agreed with me how, if my heart is set on it, then just go for it, because it will massively influence my thought-process and practise and then when I come back hopefully it will have set me up with the experiences and lessons ready to smash the industry and settle down properly - as I am the youngest I'll ever be and once you're on the creative career ladder, its pretty impossible to get off and then jump back on at the same level. 
Although, he did make me promise that I would stay creative and keep pushing my practise whilst out there - producing as much exciting and intriguing content and having something to show for my time away, as otherwise when I get back, I may get caught in no-mans land and have nothing to go off to look for career paths. He said this was essential, as if we pitch the brand right we could attract a hell of a lot of attention on socials, which naturally once we got to Australia would work in our favour and get us some nice freelance work, as with a strong portfolio and work ethic they would snap us up! 

Dines suggested how having a summary exhibition once we got back was a great idea, making sure I got in touch with Alec and him, and any other links I have to push it as far as I can and turn some heads. This would then lead to features and exposure, which naturally would lead to career opportunities.
I think I've actually made some friends in the more specific sector of my industry, and Dines made it clear he is interested in seeing where my practise goes and wants to stay in touch for the future - when our paths cross in the future when I get back from travelling, who knows, he said Blup might even be looking for a new designer to take on by then, so I could have him as my mentor full-time. Between now and then, talking to Reiss has made me realise how in this day and age, you need a specialty to offer.. I aim to really get down to the nitty and gritty and properly learn the ins and outs of social media platforms like Instagram - so I can use it to my advantage in my own personal work and really drive myself in the social domain and build my circles and get my name out there, but also to give me more services and expertise when looking for jobs - as social media will play a pivotal role in marketing and design for years to come!

Also who knows, I might be able to get a little feature through Dines' instagram for my ode to him! This should kickstart things! Big thanks to Dines and Studio Blup for taking me on and teaching me some valuable lessons for my future as a graphic / motion artist! 

No comments:

Post a Comment